Sunday, November 19, 2006

Marginalia Americana 09: The Bushes Take Cover; and O.J.-Just What the Media Ordered For Christmas

From the People at Newsweek…




The covers from last week's Newsweek: the left one from the US edition and the right one from the international versions:

If I had to make a choice, I'd say the US version was more disrespectful. And we'd never have known if we hadn't had the Internet.








As did Fred Goldman, the long-suffering Simpson agonist. "Even for him, it's about as low as you could possibly go," he told NEWSWEEK. "This is a guy who is a complete narcissist and a sociopath." Goldman vowed to go after any money Simpson makes from the project.

Go Freddy, go!

She said she gave the cash to a third party, "and I was told the money would go to his children. That much I could live with."

Funny. I heard that too. And I know she made doubly sure, because she wouldn't want to be slapped with a co-conspiracy charge for fraud, criminal or civil, no? Besides, his kids approved, didn't they?

Bill O'Reilly slammed his Fox bosses, said he wouldn't watch the show or look at the book and threatened to boycott any product that was advertised during the interview.

And he swore that all the money he receives from Fox from now o shall go to his children. At least that's what I was told. And I can live with that.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Either O.J. is so desperate for cash that he doesn't care about how this interview looks to the outside world, or he's counting on how this looks to the outside world in order gain a larger audience. Either way, I guess it's true what they say: all publicity is good publicity.

Monday, November 20, 2006 3:07:00 AM  
Blogger Jun Okumura said...

You're absolutely right; you and I know how difficult it is to make ends meet on US $300,000 a year.

"All publicity is good publicity" reminds me of something a Diet member said at a certain reunion, back in the day, during the Recruit scandal. Members of his supporters club would invariably ask him if he'd been on the take and he'd regretfully have to answer, no, he had not been. This was highly embarrassing to him, because everybody who was anybody in the LDP had received Recruit shares, and it meant that he wasn't important enough to merit consideration. Or so he told us, half seriously.

"Akumei mo yuumei no uchi", the politician said, which means "Infamy is also a form of fame". I wish I could give you his name, but he's still active in public life.

Monday, November 20, 2006 8:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home