Friday, November 03, 2006

Why Now, Just before the Mid-Term Elections with the Reverend's Gay Sex Allegations? Actually, That Shouldn't Be My Question

As James Dobson has duly complained, it is only one man's accusations. But "temporarily stepping aside" to "seek spiritual advice and guidance"? Not exactly alcohol rehab, but considering Rev. Haggard's previous standing, it sounds a lot like "I'm It!" to me.

But before I even start to pontificate about the rampant hypocrisy and moral cowardice in the American leadership, I should wonder why there are no openly gay public figures beyond the entertainment world. Now I'm a loner, and I know I'm emotionally obtuse. Still, in all the years of my school and professional life, I have come across only one or two Japanese in public life whom I even suspected of being gay. On the other hand, we have always had a few openly gay entertainers, and they have had no problems starring on prime-time broadcast TV.

So what's going on here? I am genuinely stumped.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Methinks you a) don't know what a gay is and b) the definition of gay is a bit different in Japan. My impression is that Japan is extremely gay. Not only are the men quite effeminate but Japan attracks an inordinate number of Western gays claiming to study Japan. The supercharged ultra male environment with its hostility toward women is the pure definition of gay. Indeed, one of the holds that Japan has on the US policy community is its catering to its gay needs. There are quite a few switch hitters on Team Armitage and its predecessors.
And truth be told, on the Comfort Women issue, there were men involved too.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 12:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home